- I wrote the only book on moving someone to a care community, and it’s published by Johns Hopkins University Press…I’m currently working on my second edition and my second book on dementia care!
- I travel all over the country speaking, training, and consulting in dementia care. For a list of places I’ve worked with, check out my Senior Community page.
- My favorite topics to speak on include, “How to communicate with people who have dementia,” “Interior design and dementia care,” and “Keeping people with dementia engaged.”
- I serve on the board for the Allegheny Area Agency on Aging.
- I serve on the NIDE Council, the National Institute for Dementia Education.
- My hair is naturally dark blonde, but it’s also been purple and gray!
- I have a Master’s in Gerontology from UNC Greensboro and a Bachelor’s in Psychology from the University of Mary Washington.
- You’ve probably seen my “16 Things I Would Want If I Got Dementia” list somewhere on social media.
- I’ve been working, interning, and volunteering in long-term care environments since 2005.
- I’ve been featured in The Washington Post and on NPR.
- I was a professional film actress—agent and everything—when I was a kid.
- Dementia care is my passion: you’re going to be hard-pressed to find anyone who loves working in this field more than I do.
- I have been doing improv comedy for over eight years and sketch comedy for over three years. You’re welcome to check out some of my sketch comedy work, but know that it’s probably not safe for work…but I guess it depends where you work!
- My friend Chris and I run a dementia care and improv comedy workshop. Learn more about that here.
RECENT & UPCOMING EVENTS
For more of my resume and past consulting history, see this page.
BRiTE Mild Cognitive Impairment program every Monday, Wednesday & Thursday
Home Instead Senior Care of Bethel Park every other Tuesday
Cool places I’ve been in 2018: Caring Manoa in Honolulu, Hawaii, Remember Me Senior Care in Chattanooga, Tennessee, The Waters Senior Living in Minneapolis, Minnesota
November 10th: Agreeing to Remember dementia/improv workshop in Pittsburgh
November 15th: Half-day workshop for Westmoreland County in Pittsburgh, PA
November 17th: American Case Management Conference speaker in Pittsburgh, PA
November 20th: Agreeing to Remember improv/dementia workshop at HCR Manorcare
November 29th: Agreeing to Remember improv/dementia workshop in Beaver, PA
December 10th: Beulah Church Support Group in Pittsburgh, PA
December 18th & 19th: Consulting at Greensburg Care Center in Greensburg, PA
January 22nd: Webinar for Residential Hospice in Troy, Michigan
All of February: Monday lectures at Osher Lifelong Learning at Pitt
February 5th: Training at Shenango on the Green in Westmoreland County, PA
February 27th: Carnegie Mellon University lecture in Pittsburgh, PA
August 8th, 2019: PALA Conference keynote speaker in Cranberry, PA